Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Day 17 - Bandage off

Day 17. Wednesday. 8 March 2017

I feel like I have had this thick bandage on my foot for 2 months, not 2 weeks.

Late afternoon Wendy drove me to the hospital and the bandages were cut off. Much less ghastly than I had expected. There is an incision about 6 centimetres long along the toe. All looking very clean. Just slight swelling. The only bruising is a small patch just below the toenail, separate from the incision, where some blood has migrated.

The stitches were removed - uncomfortable but not painful. Some plaster was placed over the wound.

Then the surgeon (Paul Rice) saw me. He was pleased with progress. Large chunks of bone had been removed from both sides of the joint to improve movement.

My instructions are to walk 20-30 minutes a day to start to start working the joint, plus puttering around the apartment. Gradually increasing the time and distance. Cycling is fine, as is swimming.  
I was able to wear my outdoor shoes out of the hospital. Hooray!

We then went shopping. I was tentative on the foot, but the only pain I felt, after about 10 minutes, was in my calf. The muscle must have atrophied a little from all the sitting and laying around. 

The crutches are now in the car boot and will be put out for the hard rubbish cleanup in our street next week. And good riddance to them.

Note: I mentioned the sensation I have been experiencing along a nerve on the right hand side of the foot to the surgeon. He said it is not unusual and will fade.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment